Monday 5 September 2011

Geek Lamp 2: Electric Boogaloo

After I made my own geekiest lamp in all of geekdom a friend of mine (the very friend who lent me his Enterprise D blueprints) commissioned me to make him a table lamp with an Enterprise design. Took me ages to find a lamp I could customise and then ages again to actually decide which bit of the ship to put on it, but I really like what I ended up with, so maybe all that time was worth it! Here's how it turned out:



enterprise d lamp 9


The lamp is made of a white metal back and base, with a sort of plastic-backed fabric shade that curves around the base piece. It's perhaps 45cm tall and about 30cm wide. I half traced, half free handed the design onto the plastic back of the fabric piece with a black sharpie.

enterprise d lamp 6

I love how the saucer section curves off this side of the lamp:

enterprise d lamp 2

But I'm less happy with how the nacelle curves away on this side. It's the one thing I'd change if I were to do it again- I'd reposition the design so that the nacelle starts round on the front of the lamp.

enterprise d lamp 3

Some close ups!


enterprise d lamp 4

This isn't the greatest pic of this part but I'm rather proud of how the lettering came out - it was quite tricky doing letters backwards (cos I'm drawing everything on the "inside" of the lamp) but they look pretty neat. I actually used Neil's signature forging trick from White Collar and did all the lettering upside down so I wasn't thinking about the letters as letters but just as a pattern of lines I had to follow. That worked out quite nicely for me!

enterprise d lamp 5

The benefit of doing the design on the back of the shade was that the lamp is stealthily geeky - when it's switched off it just looks like a plain yellow lamp, which is, oddly, my favourite thing about it!

enterprise d lamp4

Taking a picture with a flash when the lamp is on:

enterprise d lamp2


And a pic of the lit lamp in a dark room!

enterprise d lamp 1

More pics of the lamp here. .


No comments:

Post a Comment