Wednesday 24 February 2010

Help me pick my next cross stitch project!

I'm getting that feeling again, folks - it's time to embark on another large cross stitch that will, no doubt, take about 6 months and cause me much misery and madness. But there's nothing quite so satisfying as having stitched something so large and so special. Last year I made a Starship Enterprise, and the year before that it was a Fantastic Flying Petrelli. But what shall it be this time?

Before we get to that, however, a quick diversion to explain why I stitch the things that I do.

I hated all the forms of sewing and crafting that I learned as a child. But then I got back into cross stitching a few years ago after stumbling across the concept of subversive cross stitch. I liked the idea of working in a medium with so many connotations and stereotypes (traditionally feminine, old-fashioned, sweet-to-the-point-of-nauseating) and creating something so counter to those ideas. An early project of mine was to stitch the sweary-est of swear words on a cushion. I must find a picture of that some day.

Anyhow, I'm far from alone in finding it great fun to craft items that are pretty far removed from your grandma's "home sweet home" sampler (no offense to your grandma, of course). I've seen many great pieces of subversive cross stitch and other crafts over the years, and there are two I'd like to share before I try to make my decision on Operation Cross Stitch of Doom 3.0.

Becky Schaefer's work adds unexpected touches to otherwise traditional needlepoint landscapes. This one featuring Lara Croft is my particular favourite:


And then there's Noelle Mason's work ‘Nothing Much Happened Today (for Eric and Dylan)’ a cross stitch of a security camera image of the Columbine High School shooting. I won't post a pic of it in this post for those who might not want to see it, but if you are interested, check it out here. It's definitely not a fluffy, nice piece of work, and I'm not sure I'd ever want to make something similar, but it did make me think. And isn't that always the point of any artistic endeavour?

And so, finally, we get to the point. I know exactly what kind of project I want to stitch next, but I don't know exactly what image I want to work from. I need your help, peoples of the interwebs! It is going to be an image of a fictional woman, committing, or about to commit a violent act. It has to be a fictional character because I'm totally fine with fictional violence, I even really enjoy it in some shows and movies. But real life violence is not so awesome. It has no cool soundtrack and people don't magically heal completely about 2 minutes later. And it has to be a woman because that fits with the subversion of expectations concept. But which fictional woman? Buffy? Ellen Ripley? Sarah Connor? Kara 'Starbuck' Thrace? Someone else? And what specific image do I want? If it's Ripley, surely it has to be the the "get away from her, you bitch" scene from Aliens where she's in the mechanical power-loader thingy. And if it's to be Buffy, I'd love to try and capture the sheer rage in Buffy's eyes from the moment she gets back up in Chosen and tells the First Evil to "get out of my face". But there's so many images flying through my brain and my google-fu is failing me right now, so advise me. Help me internet, you're my only hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment